Thursday 9 May 2013

'Cheesy' Kale Chips

Kale is one of the healthiest vegetables around. A delicious way to enjoy it is by making them into chips. Kale chips have quickly become one of my all-time favourite snack foods. You can buy them prepackaged or make your own. There are a lot of different recipes out there for them, so how you choose to make them is really a matter of preference & taste.

Here is a batch I made recently - I washed and dried one bunch of kale, removed the ribs and tore the leaves into pieces. They shrink down quite a lot, so it's best not to tear the pieces too small. I put the pieces in a bowl, added 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons of agave nectar and 3 tablespoons of nutritional yeast and massaged the ingredients into the kale, by hand. Sometimes I add a tiny bit of sea salt, but only very rarely.



I cooked the kale on a parchment lined baking sheet, single layer, for 30 minutes at 250 degrees F, turned them over and cooked them for an additional 10-15 minutes. You don't want to burn them, so it's best to check them until you find a cooking time that works for you.

I suggest you make a few batches, as they are highly addictive!

Eventually I would like to try making raw kale chips using a dehydrator.

What are your experiences with making your own kale chips?


2 comments:

TaB said...

I have to get Mike to try these!

Kitty Chan's Kitchen said...

I think he will like them.